We are currently recruiting for the following 3 positions for the ‘LIFE Raft project – Rathlin Acting for Tomorrow: Removing invasive non-native ferrets and rats from the Rathlin Island SPA, Northern Ireland. The contracts on offer are:
1 x full-time 18 month Ferret Trapper (with potential for extension)
2 x full-time 9 month Ferret Trappers (with potential for extension)
Where to apply:
Ferret Trapper x 3 (Fixed-Term) | RSPB (vacancy-filler.co.uk)
Interested applicants must apply using the RSPB’s system available in the link above.
Further information is also available on that website.
About the roles
We are looking for motivated people to support the Ferret Trapping Co-ordinator (FTC), and Eradication Delivery Manager (EDM), and become a member of the ferret eradication team on Rathlin.
Successful candidates will work with the FTC and EDM to implement the eradication plan and get the project eradication ready by Autumn 2023. Once declared ready by external advisors, ferret eradication will begin. Successful candidates will then be expected to check traps daily across the uneven terrain of Rathlin and in all weathers. Successful candidates will be expected to carry heavy loads and be able to humanely dispatch animals. Throughout the project, successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate best practice and adhere to health and safety requirements.
Given the project is based on an offshore island, candidates will be expected to spend extended periods of time living on Rathlin. Team members will be provided accommodation on island and are expected to live as a member of the island’s community. Candidates should be prepared to adapt to inclement weather and resulting changes in work schedules. A willingness to adapt to the needs of the project will be useful.
We feel the roles provide a unique opportunity to gain experience in the globally important field of island restoration within Northern Ireland. The roles will also offer candidates the chance to work as part of a diverse team that will utilise emerging technologies and techniques in the first global attempt at ferret eradication.
Successful candidates will be managed by the FTC and will provide support to them, and the wider LIFE Raft team.?
Contracts will initially be for the periods stated above with the possibility of extension into the rat eradication phase of the project.??This will be determined as the project develops.
Please note, interviews for this position will take place on Rathlin over 2 days.
Key Result Areas
- Monitoring traps, recording of trap activity and reporting trapping outcomes to Ferret Trapping Co-ordinator during the ferret eradication project
- Delivery of successful ferret operational plan as part of a team
- Manage all relevant data to ensure it is stored and analysed appropriately to allow review of work programmes and future planning.
- Build appropriate positive relationships with key external partners and stakeholders so that LIFE Rafts objectives can be achieved.
- Other work as required and directed by manager in support of the project’s objectives
- Work as part of a team to deliver ferret eradication on Rathlin
- Check traps and collect data related to trapping during ferret eradication
- Routinely check trap locations, maintain and calibrate traps
- Adhere to health and safety requirements and practices
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working in the field conditions
- Experience of working in isolated locations
- An ability to work as part of a team and take direction
- Experience of communicating and working effectively with landowners
- Flexible approach to working hours
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working with/or trapping ferrets or equivalent mustelid
- Firearms License
- Experience of other eradication projects
- Humane dispatch experience
- Competent IT user
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position week commencing 8th May 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org